"Healthy Change with Chronic Conditions" is a FREE six-week workshop (six sessions, once a week, 2½ hours each session). The workshop helps people with chronic health conditions to better manage their symptoms and daily life.
All participants must pre-register for the workshop. Participants should attend all six sessions, or as many as possible. The more sessions attended, the more benefit!
During this workshop, you are responsible for taking care of your own needs. You may leave the room at any time, stand up, stretch, or tend to your needs. In general, the workshop is considered to be safe for people with chronic conditions.
- Come to every session
- Be respectful of others and their ideas
- Maintain confidentiality
- Give any new activities at least a two-week trial
- Make and complete a weekly action plan
- Call your buddy weekly
- Turn off your cell phones/pagers
- Participate in group discussion
- Not give direct health care advice to other participants, as each individual has customized health care plans designed around their individual health needs and personal situation from their health care providers. Direct Health care should only be taken from a licensed health care provider.
Participants must be able to set goals and function in a group setting. For example, the program would not be appropriate for someone with memory impairment, or for someone who would be disruptive in a group. However, caregivers, family members or friends can benefit from learning self-management skills to help support others and take care of themselves.
All workshop participants receive the Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions reference book. The workshop is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) and is part of a the provincial strategy to prevent and manage chronic diseases.